Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyAdvertise on SCON
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone notice that Turkey Tags will cost $5 each,next season ??

[QUOTE=rthomas4;320356]
    Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Hopefully this will help turkeys rebound or slow the decline.

What decline? 10 years ago, I never saw or heard a turkey on my property. Now I have a resident flock that easily numbers 40 or more. I have even heard many land owners here in the LowCountry complain about the number of turkeys that have taken up residence on their properties. Just like the deer herd, we don't have declining numbers down here.
    You see it the same way I do it seems like. I live in northern upstate and turkeys numbers are very good as well as deer. Numbers are growing in some places and declining in some places. Instead of looking at whatís going on in places where numbers are strong like Iíve suggested, they want to just keep restricting everyone more and more. This isnít as hard as they are trying to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fork View Post
    How many guys on this forum are non resident SC property owners? Seems like we pay taxes and pretty much what residents pay for services, maybe we should try to band together to try and get some clout in Columbia??? I don't mind paying my fair share, but they are not even giving any vasaline for the way we have been treated lately. Any ideas guys????
    By September I'll fully own my late father's farm in Chester Co., but will not be living on it for a couple more years. $100 more is going to hurt if nothing more than the idea of the price.
    Last edited by parallax; 07-08-2019 at 04:12 AM.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

"if you read these pages that is what it sounds like most S Carolinians want....Non-Res out."

But what does that gain the resident hunter? We are not illegal aliens sucking up state resources, bringing nothing in return.
    Last edited by parallax; 07-08-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    Just because a NR owns property in another state and pays taxes on said property why should that entitle the NR to all the rights and privileges when it comes to cost of licenses and tags of a citizen of the state in question?
    I don't think that's what the NR property owners are after. At least I'm not. Some small concession would be nice, however.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Quote Originally Posted by parallax View Post
    "if you read these pages that is what it sounds like most S Carolinians want....Non-Res out."

But what does that gain the resident hunter? We are not illegal aliens sucking up state resources, bringing nothing in return.
    Bingo!
    Been that way since back in the 70's. Then their license would go up. But all this will never happen of course.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

[QUOTE=Jester896;320358] OK... so I did it backwards..instead of opening day it should be the last day in 3 & 4 and the 1st day in 1 & 2. It sound like you can kill 2 birds early and I thought that was what they were trying to avoid is the early killing of birds when they changed it all.[/QUOTE}

It would no longer be early in zones 3 and 4 though, only early in zones 1 and 2, so you wouldn't be killing two birds in the same zones. I think the point is not to be able to double up with two birds the same day in the same zones.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    I think the point is not to be able to double up
    got it...thanks!
    Yippee Ki Yay

I don't think that's what the NR property owners are after. At least I'm not. Some small concession would be nice, however.
    With all due respect to you and all NR property owners, then move to SC..

It seems that every time this issue is brought up it always comes back to "we own property, pay taxes and I don't understand why we pay more or we travel and spend money in said state adding to the economy".

I have no issue with NR property owners but just because someone owns a few acres and lives in another state that within itself should not entitle NR owners with no rights or privileges that are afforded to full time residents nor should there be any concessions..
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

I believe you must reside on the land you own to be considered a resident.

As I've posted previously on more than one occasion, here in Hampton and Bamberg Counties we have Non-Residents who have permanent camping spots and use the land owner's address as their own in order to get resident licenses. They leave their campers there year round, but only live there during deer season and occasionally some do during turkey season. The rest of the time the live in either Georgia or Florida. By the same token we have honest NRs who also keep campers or mobile homes on property they lease or rent who do not cheat the system and who pay the NR fees. One of those honest Florida hunters is a member of this site and has become a good friend of mine. I will admit that before I came to know Bill Bullis I had sort of lumped all NRs in the same category as the dishonest ones, and for that I owe him and others an apology.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    As I've posted previously on more than one occasion, here in Hampton and Bamberg Counties we have Non-Residents who have permanent camping spots and use the land owner's address as their own in order to get resident licenses. They leave their campers there year round, but only live there during deer season and occasionally some do during turkey season. The rest of the time the live in either Georgia or Florida. By the same token we have honest NRs who also keep campers or mobile homes on property they lease or rent who do not cheat the system and who pay the NR fees. One of those honest Florida hunters is a member of this site and has become a good friend of mine. I will admit that before I came to know Bill Bullis I had sort of lumped all NRs in the same category as the dishonest ones, and for that I owe him and others an apology.
    I think to establish residency you have to live in the state for more than 6 months of the year, have a in state drivers license and file state resident income taxes. If you get checked with a resident license and don’t have the proper ID you are busted these days. I know people who did just what you say years ago but also know some who were busted in recent years. Best to get the right documentation and not have to look over your shoulder when hunting and fishing. The world has gotten smaller as far as personal info is concerned.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I think to establish residency you have to live in the state for more than 6 months of the year, have a in state drivers license and file state resident income taxes. If you get checked with a resident license and don’t have the proper ID you are busted these days. I know people who did just what you say years ago but also know some who were busted in recent years. Best to get the right documentation and not have to look over your shoulder when hunting and fishing. The world has gotten smaller as far as personal info is concerned.
    This is true, and the authorities have cracked down on those claiming false residence for years now. It isn't easy to pull it off as it once was decades ago.

"With all due respect to you and all NR property owners, then move to SC.."

It's not so easy to just to pull up stakes and move to SC just to hunt family land at a lesser cost. Chester County is one of the poorest counties in the state with stagnant population growth or even in decline. People that do what I do for a living at the same experience and skill level do it for half what I earn. That's not a cut on them, just an observation of economic fact. I plan to retire on my land in a few years but will not become a SC resident with any animosity towards any NR just because he does not live in the state of South Carolina. I will have animosity for anyone who disrespects other South Carolina residents who poach, trespass and dump garbage etc. on other folks property. I don't care where they come from.

Non-Resident hunters are not your problem. Bad individuals are!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

I think you can actually be charge Federally with mail fraud in some cases.
    Henry Ford

This is true, and the authorities have cracked down on those claiming false residence for years now. It isn't easy to pull it off as it once was decades ago.

"With all due respect to you and all NR property owners, then move to SC.."

It's not so easy to just to pull up stakes and move to SC just to hunt family land at a lesser cost. Chester County is one of the poorest counties in the state with stagnant population growth or even in decline. People that do what I do for a living at the same experience and skill level do it for half what I earn. That's not a cut on them, just an observation of economic fact. I plan to retire on my land in a few years but will not become a SC resident with any animosity towards any NR just because he does not live in the state of South Carolina. I will have animosity for anyone who disrespects other South Carolina residents who poach, trespass and dump garbage etc. on other folks property. I don't care where they come from.

Non-Resident hunters are not your problem. Bad individuals are!
    As far as having a problem towards NR, I have no animus towards any NR hunter and I think my posts bear this out! I also understand the economic challenges of moving due to the demographics of certain areas.

This may or may not apply to you! The ONLY point I was trying to make was to those NR property owners that think they should get "special" consideration for hunting license and tags due to their property ownership without being a SC resident. Nothing more, nothing less!
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

As an aside, if you ever live somewhere you enjoy hunting, buy a LL before you move away. It will pay for itself quickly.

You could also move to state temporarily and establish residency then get LL and bug out to your original location.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    With all due respect to you and all NR property owners, then move to SC..

It seems that every time this issue is brought up it always comes back to "we own property, pay taxes and I don't understand why we pay more or we travel and spend money in said state adding to the economy".

I have no issue with NR property owners but just because someone owns a few acres and lives in another state that within itself should not entitle NR owners with no rights or privileges that are afforded to full time residents nor should there be any concessions..
    Most complainers on here probably only own their yard.......1/3 of acre or less..........The NR's getting raped because they own a farm or lease here in SC is wrong. Like I say. The one's that squeal the loudest.....own the least and pay the least.

Owning property and paying taxes doesn't in itself make you a resident.

Ted Turner owns THOUSANDS of acres here in SC, including a couple of islands and a very large plantation on the Savannah River and another on the Edisto. He resides in Montana and Colorado but still has to purchase a NR license to hunt any of his SC properties. His property taxes in SC probably exceed a couple million or more each year, plus he contributes to the economy by hiring locals to oversee and manage his properties......which means buying trucks, paying insurance, and furnishing living quarters in some instances for those employees.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Well, when it's all said and done, going from not having to pay anything extra to hunt turkeys to $50 a bird in one year is hard to take from a non-resident's point of view. I've exclusively hunted only my family land and a little adjacent property with permission since 1982. I've seen my NR license go from $75 total, plus fishing to over $300 now with smaller limits (of which I do not object to). All my hunting money including some of the firearms I have purchased pretty much went to SC since I live just over the state line and shopping in the area is a no brainer.

For what it's worth people complain. People complain about the complainers so we are all complainers. We're human and when we are not actively hunting some of us come on our favorite forums to hang out with our friends who we may have never even met. We fuss and complain about most anything but overall we get along and generally have some very good conversations. World problems are not going to be solved here but we can and will vent.
    It's all good.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12