Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hampton Town Councilman charged with illegally transporting a deer.

Same state?

I agree sounds more like an investigation occurred. Most Wardens would not jeopardized their career over a hunt club dispute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

[QUOTE=SCbowhunter1000;320456]If 10 ft high it does not matter anymore.

So there is a dispute of them hunting near the property line?

Actually he claims not to have confronted them, but he wonders why they have the stands and trail cameras facing his property and if a photo of him dumping the deer on his property was captured on one of the cameras which prompted the GW (who belongs to that club) to charge him.

He nor any of his family has hunted his farm in the last two years, so no deer had been moved previously. His son confirmed that with me.

As for the state line, his property is located on the Colleton side of Allendale County which isn't anywhere near the Savannah River.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Most Wardens would not jeopardized their career over a hunt club dispute.
    don't be so quick to pull the trigger on that just yet...remember the other investigation where the girl was missing.

the other doesn't sound like a charge from moving a dead deer...he transported...isn't that usually something bigger? Fine is pretty steep too. And moving a dead deer isn't illegal from what has been said so far.
    Yippee Ki Yay

they may have felt he dump the deer close to their stand to keep them from hunting it. If there is a crime I would think it is an environmental violation not a wildlife violation. Be interesting to see the outcome.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

most timber companies are even suggesting strongly in their leases that stands be placed no closer than 50 yards from the line. Had the club adhered to something of this nature it wouldn't matter where on his property he put the dead dear.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    most timber companies are even suggesting strongly in their leases that stands be placed no closer than 50 yards from the line. Had the club adhered to something of this nature it wouldn't matter where on his property he put the dead dear.
    On timber land if your stand is 50 yards from property line it better be a tripod cause there ainít no trees to hunt out of
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I do not see any charges in public records. This happen in Allendale?

Clean out your inbox.

Done

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Ok. Well now check it and respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    On timber land if your stand is 50 yards from property line it better be a tripod cause there ainít no trees to hunt out of
    they use a little more of their property here....most just have a firebreak in these parts
    Yippee Ki Yay

they use a little more of their property here....most just have a firebreak in these parts
    They cut from blazed tree to blaze tree here leaving the boundary trees ( property line markers), the drainage buffers, and trees in the gullies they canít get too. Finally getting some of the planted tree big enough to climb. It is a business after all and they get the most they can for the effort.
    Henry Ford

I don't understand the purpose of leaving a row of trees beside a road? They do it up here a lot.

In this area they cut all the way up to the marked trees. However, most of the time the marked trees are usually a few feet within the property line so if you put a stand on them you are technically not on the property line.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I've had to put stands on the line facing into my property and I've had people put stands on the line facing their property. As long as its on the line and not over it and facing into their property I don't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    I've had to put stands on the line facing into my property
    I have had to do it a time or two myself...wasn't hard to tell what it was watching on my property either. I thought it stated stands faced a different direction in this case.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of leaving a row of trees beside a road? They do it up here a lot.

In this area they cut all the way up to the marked trees. However, most of the time the marked trees are usually a few feet within the property line so if you put a stand on them you are technically not on the property line.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I've had to put stands on the line facing into my property and I've had people put stands on the line facing their property. As long as its on the line and not over it and facing into their property I don't say anything.
    Hunted back to back with neighbors over the years. Doesn’t bother me. Met several hunters and became friends and we just shared the boundary. If I was hunting they didn’t and vice versa. Worked well. Not always the case though. Had a fire lane we could climb on our side but had to face their side to see down the fire lane. Saw deer going both ways just shot on our side of the line and watched a lot of deer on their side. They also hunted the fire lane on their side of the line. Never had a problem nice guys.
    Henry Ford

Hunting the property line is common practice here. On one side the property you may have the firebreak or road and the other the neighbors. Most work it out, but there are times you do find that one guy that will dump remains or ride a four wheeler in an attempt to ruin a hunt.

Hunting the property line is common practice here. On one side the property you may have the firebreak or road and the other the neighbors. Most work it out, but there are times you do find that one guy that will dump remains or ride a four wheeler in an attempt to ruin a hunt.
    then again your neighbor should have access to all points of his property at his will. He shouldn't have to worry about where he puts a dead deer on his property or if it interferes with a hunt on someone else's property if he rides by. Because something is common practice doesn't mean it is correct. Both sides maybe should honor a buffer zone of some sort or as you say work it out.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Seen all that happen. All it takes is one guy being an ahole. As far as riders, if you hunt near the road there are going to be riders, either your members or the neighbors. If I hunt near the road I expect and accept it. If I don’t want to be bothered I hunt somewhere else. Life is to short to worry about that kind of stuff.
    Henry Ford

Life is to short to worry about that kind of stuff.
    Amen

funny...I could still hear the Club Car Carry All that dropped me off when the deer stepped out of the woods and I shot it
    Yippee Ki Yay

then again your neighbor should have access to all points of his property at his will. He shouldn't have to worry about where he puts a dead deer on his property or if it interferes with a hunt on someone else's property if he rides by. Because something is common practice doesn't mean it is correct. Both sides maybe should honor a buffer zone of some sort or as you say work it out.
    In SC it is against the law to harass hunters even on your own property. Could become an interesting case.

[QUOTE=SCbowhunter1000;320541]In SC it is against the law to harass hunters even on your own property. Could become an interesting case.

Pete hasn't been charged with "harassing hunters", the ticket was written and stated "interfering with a hunt".........again what hunt since the Charleston crowd only has the deer and turkey rights; what were they hunting?????????
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

In SC it is against the law to harass hunters even on your own property. Could become an interesting case.
    everyday activity doesn't constitute harassment. If I drive my property line 365 days a year, then when I ride by you sitting in a stand on the property line it is simply unfortunate for you. There is no intent to harass if it is my daily activity. Now, if I stop on days deer season is in only on the property line and beat pots and pans together...that might constitute harassment.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Interfering with a hunt and hunter harassment are the same thing.
    Henry Ford

So if Pete was putting the carcass out there to shoot a coyote of off....would he be in violation by having his own hunt on his own land ?

Interfering with a hunt and hunter harassment are the same thing.
    I agree... but if Iím doing the same thing I always do on my property Iím not intentionally harassing anyone. Harassment requires intent I do believe... I would certainly like to see how the courts ruled on it.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I am guessing for charges to be brought oleí Peteís version is different than the warden. If he has harassed with a plane before old habits may still exist. Internet investigations are always fun.

If I found a dead deer in my front yard....I would take it to the back of my property instead of seeing and smelling it for a while. Tickets are easy to write, getting convictions are a whole different ball game. A ticket is a charging document, no statue cited will be a legal problem for the state. A warrant without a statue is almost always Nol prossed. Google is your friend, rookie or not.

[QUOTE=SCbowhunter1000;320568]I am guessing for charges to be brought ole’ Pete’s version is different than the warden. If he has harassed with a plane before old habits may still exist. Internet investigations are always fun.

He hasn't owned a plane in over four years, and prior to selling it hadn't flown in almost ten. There is a man in Allendale County who does own several vintage military planes and a Beechcraft Bonanza which he was actively flying up until two or three years ago, but even he doesn't fly anylonger.

I am guessing for charges to be brought ole’ Pete’s version is different than the warden.
    i gotta agree with that too....I also don't believe they were from the events he is describing. A fella I know was charged with dumping egregious material disposing of deer caucuses. I know the investigation went on for a month after they found him before he was charged.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12