Advertise on SCONCamera Land, Inc

Thread: Why are AR triggers so terrible?

Default Why are AR triggers so terrible?

Is it difficult for some reason to manufacture these guns with decent triggers? There are great after market triggers out there but why are they so bad in the first place? Many other rifles have triggers that feel great (or at least not terrible) but what makes the AR so bad out of the gate?
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

If you use previous military rifle trigger pull quality, for example 1903, 1903 A1, M1 Garand and M14 trigger pulls the trigger pull quality in run of the mill commercial AR15's are horrible. I've fired military M16's but usually in burst or full auto mode so I cannot recall how good the trigger pulls were in semi-auto mode. I suspect it would be on par with the same military requirements placed on the earlier service rifles but I cannot say for sure. All those previous rifles, if in serviceable condition had triggers that broke cleanly at around 4-6 Lbs. I've had stock commercial AR triggers that broke that that low but were generally very creepy with a lot of inconsistent take up.

Maybe it's just the way cheap commercial AR rifle triggers are or maybe it's fear of lawsuits that push manufacturers to install such heavy erratic trigger groups in the new AR's. I just don't know, but I have installed Geissele SSA-E triggers in both of my AR lowers and couldn't be happier with them.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Remember,military rifles are built by the lowest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
    Is it difficult for some reason to manufacture these guns with decent triggers? There are great after market triggers out there but why are they so bad in the first place? Many other rifles have triggers that feel great (or at least not terrible) but what makes the AR so bad out of the gate?
    You're talking about a mass-produced rifle platform, not a precision rifle platform. Plus, the majority of the AR market revolves around personalizing/customizing/accessorizing. In other words, offer a base model rifle and then select from the endless catalog of after market accessories available. Most people understand that when they get into base model AR's they're getting base model AR parts as well. You can't buy a Corolla and expect a Camry trim package.

As Bill mentioned, there are more than a few after market trigger options out there. Part of the fun about AR's is being an easy platform to customize. AR's are like Legos for adults. You can take a base model AR and swap parts, add accessories and customize the rifle to your liking.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

I suppose you’re right bangstick.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

There are a bunch of great after market triggers available. If you're not as technically or mechanically savvy, there are even some good "drop-in" triggers out there as well.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

I polish the sear and add one of these in place of the Grip screw. They work great. The short video explains how it works.
    http://www.ar15triggeradjusters.com/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by qwikshot View Post
    I polish the sear and add one of these in place of the Grip screw. They work great. The short video explains how it works.
    http://www.ar15triggeradjusters.com/home.html
    my Seekins lower has adjusting screw under the grip that work very similar to those. Not so sure they are beneficial on 2-stage triggers.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I installed one of the PSA 3.5lb "match" drop in triggers on my AR last month and so far I'm pretty dang impressed for a $119 trigger. No creep at all and a very good reset. It's supposed to be 3.5lb, but I'm thinking its more around 2lb. That also seems to be what most are whenever put on a scale.

I like a bit of slack before engagement.

I do too so it's taking me some getting used to. I like just enough so I can feel the trigger move. The PSA trigger has zero creep. It's literally like breaking glass.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    I installed one of the PSA 3.5lb "match" drop in triggers on my AR last month and so far I'm pretty dang impressed for a $119 trigger. No creep at all and a very good reset. It's supposed to be 3.5lb, but I'm thinking its more around 2lb. That also seems to be what most are whenever put on a scale.
    you would be surprised when you put a scale on them...the other day I would have bet money on 2.5 and it measured 3.5...but a clean break

This PSA trigger is single stage

it sounds like you are describing a 2 stage trigger rather than a single stage.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    you would be surprised when you put a scale on them...the other day I would have bet money on 2.5 and it measured 3.5...but a clean break

This PSA trigger is single stage

it sounds like you are describing a 2 stage trigger rather than a single stage.
    I haven’t measured it, but from what I’ve read and seen on you tube most of them have measured a hair above 2lbs.

You're asking for a $150 part in a $100 parts kit. PSA trigger on my AR, I actually kinda like the 0 pull break. Its a point of contention with my Sig 365. I like it for a multitude of reasons (9mm in .380 package) but the two stage trigger with a funny feel on the break is not one of them.

I know, I'm weird.