Camera Land, IncAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Turkey Recruitment

Default Turkey Recruitment

I’ve kept a running count of poults I’ve seen this summer and hens with no poults which is very few. Look to be be between 5-6 poults per hen. This is with a March opener in the upstate this year. Looks to be another few excellent years of turkey hunting around the upstate. Be interesting to see what reports DNR puts out. I’m positive they’ll say it’s less than 2 per hen as usual.

The hen behind the house had 4

https://www.thestate.com/opinion/op-...231692223.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Strongly disagree with that article. Turkey numbers are strong from what I see and the season has opened in March up here for a few years now and I was actually reading that article closely until they said putting corn out decreases your likelihood of killing a deer. Thatís just comical, if it didnít help people wouldnít spend thousands and thousands of dollars every year on corn. But Iím keeping data on turkey poults Iíve seen this year and will do for years to come to see if the later start date has that much of an impact. If it does, there will be baby turkeys all over the place. I have my doubts there will be many more if any poults but Iíll give it a chance.

Dave worked for the DNR his entire career and spearheaded turkey restoration in SC he is respected nationally for his work.

Baiting can reduce overall harvest because hunters become dependent.

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Dave worked for the DNR his entire career and spearheaded turkey restoration in SC he is respected nationally for his work.

Baiting can reduce overall harvest because hunters become dependent.
    Maybe thatís why they legalized baiting in the upstate cause coyotes were killing a bunch and they wanted to reduce harvest?

Legislators made baiting legal.

Legislators made baiting legal.

That article stated that legislators ignored science and research? But they made baiting legal which allegedly limits deer harvests which DNR wants seeing how another study showed that coyotes got over half of fawns born every year and deer numbers were way down.

But article sounded like DNR was against baiting. Seems like a lot of contradictions to me. Iíll stick to managing the properties that I hunt instead of relying on govt to. We must be doing an ok job since we see more deer and turkeys now than we ever have.

DNR is against baiting. Which with CWD spreading as Far East as Tennessee it will happen.

Baiting was just made legal a few years ago in the upstate but people had been doing it for years. You won’t ever stop people from putting out corn whether it’s legal or not. Couldn’t stop them before and won’t stop them in the future. Just the way it is.

Laws never stop rogues from being rouges.

Laws never stop rogues from being rouges.

True, I see it everyday.