Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyCamera Land

Thread: Toothless bowhunters

Default Toothless bowhunters

I noticed two hunters in the past week on tv with a tooth knocked out with a bow. I always thought of the horror of a compound bow or Xbox coming unwound while at full draw. Anyone had such a failure?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Watched a friend of mine draw my 55# Bear Recurve, and the lower limb snapped off and hit him on the side of the head.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Employee of mine had a Browning compound break a limb. Sent it back and Browning fixed it. No confidence after that. Gave it to my son. Still shooting.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Never. But have punch my on face due to a back tension release with no trigger. Hardest I ever been hit, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Seen several 20 years or so ago. Back then people shot over draws that were 2-4 inches long. That abled you to shorten your arrow in that endless pursuit of speed. Bows sounded like a rifle cracking, and back then PSE stood for "Parts scattered everywhere". Arrows were way too light. I was down at Par tucks one evening and my buddies Darton blew up. That thang wrapped all around his head, lucky he didn't loose an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Never. But have punch my on face due to a back tension release with no trigger. Hardest I ever been hit, lol.

I think those guys had a release malfunction too, not shown on camera. They didn’t say the bow broke just showed the broke tooth. Embarrassing for sure and hard to hide one of you front teeth knocked out.
    Henry Ford

Right after I got into bow hunting I went to a shop for the owner to check my DL. I drew the bow and whenever I went to let down I torqued it and derailed the string. Luckily it didn't damage the bow, but we still replaced the axles and cams just in case.

A friend of mine was holding back an old Browning whenever the string/cable broke. He didn't get hurt, but to this day he still won't touch a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post

^^^This^^^ I didn't have my release on the string properly and about 3/4 way through the draw cycle, the release came off the string and POW...right in the kisser. I can honestly say I have never been hit harder in my life. I had to take a knee because I rang my own bell...and bloodied my own lip. Not fun at all.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

My son drew back his granddad's Bear Whitetail bow in my den. It broke the lower limb with no harm to my son. Only damage was a mark on my sheetrock where a piece of the limb hit it. It was loud when it broke!
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

On a related note, I had a carbon arrow shatter on release while trying to shoot a decent buck with my old Hoyt Easton Ram Hunter II. No injuries but the thought of carbon shards going into my left forearm shook me up a little.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Had my crossbow string break shooting at gator. The string was wrapped wrong. My buddy was shooting right beside me. String slapped my face. Left a good mark. Bleed all
    The way from over eye to beard

After reading this,you guys have given me another reason to "" NOT GO HUNTING WITH STICKS"" __ waiting on ""RIFLE SEASON""

Way back in the early 70's, got me a bow ( not compound*) -- didn't ask for the ""How To's" -- no arm guard and after about an hour or two of practice,I had no skin left on my inner left forearm, and what meat was left was black & blue !!!! Seems I was suppose to let the bow rest between my thumb & forefinger, not have a death grip on it,as I did* ( still say ouch thinking about that experience ) ________________________good luck to all,Monk**

Quote Originally Posted by Big Monk View Post
    After reading this,you guys have given me another reason to "" NOT GO HUNTING WITH STICKS"" __ waiting on ""RIFLE SEASON""

Way back in the early 70's, got me a bow ( not compound*) -- didn't ask for the ""How To's" -- no arm guard and after about an hour or two of practice,I had no skin left on my inner left forearm, and what meat was left was black & blue !!!! Seems I was suppose to let the bow rest between my thumb & forefinger, not have a death grip on it,as I did* ( still say ouch thinking about that experience ) ________________________good luck to all,Monk**
    Yeh, you need an arm guard if you shoot a long bow or recurve, unless you are real tuff. glove Too on the draw hand.
    Henry Ford