Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Vortex HogHunter 3-12x56 AO

Default Vortex HogHunter 3-12x56 AO

I picked one of these up this week and put it on my T/C Encore. I had it bore sighted after mounting and it didn't need any adjustments right out of the box. I plan to see what it will do, today when I take it to my range.

I was amazed at the price Brunson's Ace Hardware has on all of their Vortex scopes, they are below the suggested MSRP on the Vortex site, and less than BassPro and Palmetto State Armory.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

When I took the rifle with this Vortex to my range it only took a few right clicks to get dead on. I think I'm going to like this set-up.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

I like the way the reticle break to the dot. Is only the dot illuminated, I didn't look. 300mm tube should give you plenty of elevation if you need it.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Nice scope

Please let us know how it works in low light
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Jester, it's called the V-Brite MOA reticle, and yes only the dot is illuminated.

Capt., I'll let you know after I go this evening.

Capt. @ 8:30 I could see deer through the scope, but not with the naked eye.

I was always a Leupold homer, still am for the most part, but about 6 years ago I bought my first Vortex scope. Like I said, I'm still a Leupold homer but they're sharing space in my safe with a bunch of Vortex optics.

Personally, I believe Vortex has the best warranty on the market, hands down. I only have their Viper series and their Razor series scopes and their Razor series binoculars but I've heard nothing but good things about their Diamonback and Crossfire products too. Heard they are tremendous for the money.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

No way, I could afford either the Viper or Razor series. They sell in the Swarovski price range.

I hear a lot of praise for Leupold...I just don't have any...only have 1 left in the stable.

my 6X Vortex rangefinder is clearer at 6X than my remaining Leupold VX-III

I currently use
    1 Strike Eagle
    2 Sparc
    1 range finder
    2 Diamondback HP

If I buy a pair of Binos it will likely be Vortex

RT I have used both Razor and Viper...they are nice...at hunting ranges probably unnecessary
    Yippee Ki Yay

Thanks RThomas.

My first "high dollar" scope was a Meopta Meostar R2 2.5x15x56 RD. They are very popular over in Europe like Leupold is here.
    I did buy a couple very nice Leupold VX-R 3X9X50 FireDot. Good scopes. (Both brands have 30mm tubes)

I have not had them in the stand to compare them together in low light yet.

I wish one of the major magazines would do a good long article on mid priced low light scopes. Im sure that would sell!!!
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    No way, I could afford either the Viper or Razor series. They sell in the Swarovski price range.
    RT, I don't know where you're looking at Vortex Viper series pricing but you can get their Viper, Viper HS, Viper HST and Viper HS LR series scopes from around $500 to around $1000. The Viper PST Geen II series runs from around $900 to $1300. Granted, the Razor series starts around $2000 and goes up to about $3600. I have a couple of Viper HS scopes and one Viper PST and they rival, and in some cases exceed, any other manufacturer's product, in the same price points, that I've ever used. Plus, as I mentioned, Vortex's warranty is second to none.

I also have a pair of Razor HD binos (10x42) and they are hands down the absolute best pair of binos I've ever used. For the record, I've used Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon and Leica and none of them were noticeably better in any way than my Vortex Razor HD binos.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

Just bought a Viper HS 2.5-10x44mm 30mm scope from midway to put on my 270. Have not mounted it yet, but like it so far.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Just bought a Viper HS 2.5-10x44mm 30mm scope from midway to put on my 270. Have not mounted it yet, but like it so far.
    I have that exact same scope on my Tikka 7mm-08. You're going to love it!

I just received a phone call from Osprey International and they are shipping me a new updated model of the scope I took off of my T/C and sent back to them last Friday. The Osprey had gotten where it wouldn't hold zero, which is why I replaced it with the Vortex. I think when it arrives I'll get a set of 30mm rings and mount it on one of my ARs.