Camera Land, IncUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Ok,,who has the green thumb around here? Ive got some chestnuts I wanna plant........

Default Ok,,who has the green thumb around here? Ive got some chestnuts I wanna plant........

They are starting to fall off the trees in my yard and I want to plant them.

How long do I let them dry? Do I put them in the fridge for a while?
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Roast em !

Siri should know. mmmmm... Call Clemson Univ. Agriculture Extension office?

Hahahaha,,,,I just spent the last 3 hrs on you tube learning how to plant them,,,WoW!
    There is a little bit more work (and time) than I thought.

Here is a good one. https://youtu.be/4BWdejxnmKY
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Hahahaha,,,,I just spent the last 3 hrs on you tube learning how to plant them,,,WoW!
    There is a little bit more work (and time) than I thought.

Here is a good one. https://youtu.be/4BWdejxnmKY
    Might be better and easier to buy seedlings with better results.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I planted 4 in my yard this past winter. So far they are doing well.

Ive got some good lookin seeds this year Iceman,,,,just wanted to see If I could grow some trees. Might even sell some if they do good. Ive got over 100 nuts in the sand right now.

DLR,,,,did you put the nuts in the fridge for a few months like they do up north?
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

I see your point Capt. just thinking seedlings will give you a head start.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

It would,,,,,but not the same satisfaction. You know...
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

I have a "natural" area behind and beside my house that serves pretty well as a pecan tree nursery. I probably have dozens of saplings from pecans off of my 5 pecan trees. My one mature Chinese chestnut tree doesn't seem to naturally reproduce like the pecans do.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

You know there is more to it than just planting a nut. Most varieties are hybrids or cross breeds so you many times you don't get what you thing you are getting when you plant nuts. Pecan trees depend on cross pollination from a different varies to get a bountiful harvest. Most volunteer pecan trees are planed by crows (sometimes carried miles away) and squirrels unintentionally. Pecan trees planted this way are called seedlings and generally have smaller pecans than the parent tree. Forest trees are heritage seed so to say and you get something similar to the parent tree.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Ive got some good lookin seeds this year Iceman,,,,just wanted to see If I could grow some trees. Might even sell some if they do good. Ive got over 100 nuts in the sand right now.

DLR,,,,did you put the nuts in the fridge for a few months like they do up north?
    I was given trees that were about 12ft tall.

Capt. I tried to plant some a few years ago and was told to put 'em in the fridge for six weeks or longer depending on the best time to plant 'em. After following the directions and getting the peat moss, etc. I never had the first one do anything but rot.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Thanks DLR

Thank you to Thomas,,,,that's good news....Hahahahaha.

Where did the nuts come from? Local?
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Thank you to Thomas,,,,that's good news....Hahahahaha.

Where did the nuts come from? Local?[/QUOTE]

An old guy that was one of the Hardee's crowd gave 'em to me after he picked 'em up in his yard. He told me to put 'em in the fridge for at least 6 weeks and then put some peat moss in paper cups, place the nuts on the bed of moss and then cover 'em with more peat moss; then water 'em just enough to keep the moss damp, every couple of days. He told me that when they sprouted and got about six inches tall to then set 'em out......peat moss and all, in holes with some Black Cow in the bottoms. Well, mine never sprouted, and he was killed in a car accident before I could get more nuts and find out what I did wrong.

BTW, I can't grow house plants..........even my artificial ones look as if I've killed 'em.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

[QUOTE..........even my artificial ones look as if I've killed 'em.[/QUOTE]
    Henry Ford

,,,,,you sound like me.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC