Camera Land, IncCamera Land, Inc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliber?

Default Caliber?

If you had to choose one for a deer and hog gun which would you choose?
    .243, .270 or 25-06?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any of them will work fine.You just have to shoot the critter where it needs to be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyb View Post
    Any of them will work fine.You just have to shoot the critter where it needs to be shot.
    I've always shot an old 30-30 and I love it but want something with a little more distance.

my personal preference is the 270 but I like all 3 calibers.

Just like Buddy said,,,shot placement is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

I would go with the 270
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

That's a tough one. All of them are good for deer and hogs and will give you a good bit more range than a 30-30.

.243 - Plenty of ammo. Short action. Light weight. Zero recoil. Very accurate.

25-06 - Ammo harder to come by. Shoots flat as a laser. IMO one of the best calibers for deer, period. Very accurate.

.270 - Plenty of ammo. Shoots the heaviest bullets out of the group. Very accurate.

If I had to chose one I'd go with the .270 due to it having all the advantages of the others plus the advantage of going up to a 150gr bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    That's a tough one. All of them are good for deer and hogs and will give you a good bit more range than a 30-30.

25-06 - Ammo harder to come by. Shoots flat as a laser. IMO one of the best calibers for deer, period. Very accurate.

.270 - Plenty of ammo. Shoots the heaviest bullets out of the group. Very accurate.

If I had to chose one I'd go with the .270 due to it having all the advantages of the others plus the advantage of going up to a 150gr bullet.
    Ditto. But you can kill a deer or hog with a .22 caliber pellet rifle with proper placement. I'd also throw in .308 which happens to be my favorite.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post

Thanks for the info! I've plenty of deer over the years just trying to decide which one to go with. O used to own a .243 but got rid of it and never had a chance to kill anything with it

Sure,,,,you can kill a hog with a .22,,,,but I would NEVER go hog hunting with one!

95% of the time I use a 45/70 on hogs, 6.5 on deer.

Once again,,,shot placement is VERY important. Your gun must be accurate!
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

See you are going about this all wrong... Get all 3.... Issue solved.

Since you added in hogs, .270.

tough toss up right there..wish I had a .243. I do have a .25-06 and a few .270s. I might lean to the .270 but since you are not hunting Elk at short distances... I would stay away from the 150gr. Hogs are tough like Elk but with good shot placement (ear to neck) not as tough as an Elk to penetrate. If you are going to shoot through shields on big hogs that's a different story. The .270 was designed around the 130 gr I believe and just a little heavier than the 117-120 for the .25-06. You could load lights (70 - 90gr) in the .25-06 and have a mighty fine varmint gun too. It is also a good bit faster than a .243 with same weight bullet.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Mattbowen61990 View Post
    See you are going about this all wrong... Get all 3.... Issue solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    tough toss up right there..wish I had a .243. I do have a .25-06 and a few .270s. I might lean to the .270 but since you are not hunting Elk at short distances... I would stay away from the 150gr. Hogs are tough like Elk but with good shot placement (ear to neck) not as tough as an Elk to penetrate. If you are going to shoot through shields on big hogs that's a different story. The .270 was designed around the 130 gr I believe and just a little heavier than the 117-120 for the .25-06. You could load lights (70 - 90gr) in the .25-06 and have a mighty fine varmint gun too. It is also a good bit faster than a .243 with same weight bullet.
    Why on earth would you say stay away from the150 bullet? A 270 with a 150 gr bullet is absolutely devastating!
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    Why on earth would you say stay away from the150 bullet? A 270 with a 150 gr bullet is absolutely devastating!
    My experience with a 270 is 150 gr bullets do not group well overall, a 130 is more than enough to pack a punch and it groups way better on average. As it was stated the 270 was designed for a 130 gr bullet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    not really

I am comparing Federal Factory Loads...just in case someone doesn't handload...not that the results would be that different

a 130 GK leaves the muzzle @ 3060 fps w/ 2703 flbs of energy
    @ 100 it is moving at 2847 fps and has 2339 flbs of energy
    @300 it is moving at 2450 fps and has 1732 flbs of energy

a 150 GK leaves the muzzle @ 2830 w/ 2667 flbs of energy
    @ 100 it is moving at 2646 fps and has 2331 flbs of energy
    @ 300 it is moving at 2299 fps and has 1760 flbs of energy

I think those are average shooting distances or the Point Blank stuff

I don't feel like searching for the best reliable expansion fps but something in the back of my mind says over 2200 fps for the Game King bullet.
    at 300 yds the 130 is still moving 150 fps faster with not that much difference energy

the only advantage the 150 would give would be inside 100 yards...and in a 10 mph 3 or 9 wind...drift slightly less

comparing the drop of the 2 is like comparing a brick to a feather...dead is dead
    Last edited by Jester896; 09-10-2019 at 09:55 PM.
    Yippee Ki Yay

not really

I am comparing Federal Factory Loads...just in case someone doesn't handload...not that the results would be that different

a 130 GK leaves the muzzle @ 3060 fps w/ 2703 flbs of energy
    @ 100 it is moving at 2847 fps and has 2339 flbs of energy
    @300 it is moving at 2450 fps and has 1732 flbs of energy

a 150 GK leaves the muzzle @ 2830 w/ 2667 flbs of energy
    @ 100 it is moving at 2646 fps and has 2331 flbs of energy
    @ 300 it is moving at 2299 fps and has 1760 flbs of energy

I think those are average shooting distances or the Point Blank stuff

I don't feel like searching for the best reliable expansion fps but something in the back of my mind says over 2200 fps for the Game King bullet.
    at 300 yds the 130 is still moving 150 fps faster with not that much difference energy

the only advantage the 150 would give would be inside 100 yards...and in a 10 mph 3 or 9 wind...drift slightly less

comparing the drop of the 2 is like comparing a brick to a feather...dead is dead
    I shoot 150's in a 270, they just shoot lights out, better than any 130 load I ever worked up. I'm not really worried about drop, all bullets drop, so it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I don't think 150fps after 300 yards is that much different, especially since the bullet is carrying almost identical KE. They will both do the job, just depends on which one I can get to shoot the best.

at one time Federal offered 7 different premium bullet loads in 130 gr and only 3 in 150. Today it is 6-2 and the 140 range has several now instead of one. It is apparent that with that large of a selection in 130s that is where thing lean in the world of factory loads.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I have an early 90's model 700ADL that with 130gr Winchester BT's is the most accurate rifle that I own. It also likes the 150gr Core-Lokts. With all of the deer that I've shot with the .270, I prefer the 150s. It may just be my imagination, but it seems like the deer react different whenever hit with the 150's. It seems like it hits them harder.
    Last edited by DoubleLungRage; 09-11-2019 at 08:40 AM.

I shoot 150's in a 270, they just shoot lights out, better than any 130 load I ever worked up. I'm not really worried about drop, all bullets drop, so it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I don't think 150fps after 300 yards is that much different, especially since the bullet is carrying almost identical KE. They will both do the job, just depends on which one I can get to shoot the best.
    Remember that not all identical rifles will shoot identical ammo with the same result.

Both of my .308s handle the Winchester 150 grain loads a lot better than the 185s. I also know that my Winchester .270 prefers 150 grain over 130, and I don't own a handgun or rifle that will shoot any type of Federal ammo worth a dam. The only shotgun I own that doesn't have a preference and will shoot Federals is a Mossberg Pump, and in fact even the Winchester Turkey loads which have the recessed wad like a Federal won't properly feed or eject in my other shotguns, including a Charles Daley Pump and all of my semi-autos.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    Remember that not all identical rifles will shoot identical ammo with the same result.

Both of my .308s handle the Winchester 150 grain loads a lot better than the 185s. I also know that my Winchester .270 prefers 150 grain over 130, and I don't own a handgun or rifle that will shoot any type of Federal ammo worth a dam. The only shotgun I own that doesn't have a preference and will shoot Federals is a Mossberg Pump, and in fact even the Winchester Turkey loads which have the recessed wad like a Federal won't properly feed or eject in my other shotguns, including a Charles Daley Pump and all of my semi-autos.
    If you reload you can find a round for any rifle that you own. Once you lose the ties with factory loaded ammo, you can choose what you want to shoot. I have shot 110 gr Barnes X's 270's and they shoot well. I basically pick a bullet and build a load to fit the rifle. Usually I can build something that you deem acceptable, but I don't deem acceptable fairly easy. I had some 150's set aside for my 270 wsm, sold it, so I built a round for one of my 270's using it. They touch at 100 and shoot about .75 MOA at 350. They would shoot better with a better scope, but it's a hunting gun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I regret not getting into reloading when I was a young man and had better eyesight. I turned 66 yesterday, and can only see out of my left eye and that's with a contact lens. These days, I can't afford to invest in reloading equipment and building a structure for that purpose. I much rather invest some of my small income in a few more firearms and optics anyhow since I don't have the patience to study ballistics charts and all that's involved in learning a new skill.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    I regret not getting into reloading when I was a young man and had better eyesight. I turned 66 yesterday, and can only see out of my left eye and that's with a contact lens. These days, I can't afford to invest in reloading equipment and building a structure for that purpose. I much rather invest some of my small income in a few more firearms and optics anyhow since I don't have the patience to study ballistics charts and all that's involved in learning a new skill.
    It's definitely a science, and something you have to be on your p's and q's with or it could end very badly. I started when I was really young, and I enjoy it, but sometimes it will drive you up a wall. You get to set what are acceptable criteria when you start, so it's a battle from the start. Pretty rewarding though when you use what you made to take an animal, technology has came a long ways in the last few decades, bullet manufacturing is pretty consistent, powder technology has improved temperature stability and consistency. I'm a scientist so I'm always tinkering with something, and reloading gave me my first experiments.

i chose the Sierra bullet for both of the loads...it wouldn't matter if you reloaded or not the results would be about the same. i am not saying you are doing it wrong... just that I wouldn't do it for the small amount of difference there is. i am saying that y'all the odd balls compared to the rest of the world . you know I meant that to be funny not insulting...right?

RT if your .308 is 1:12 i understand why it don't like 180s...1:10 might work better
    Yippee Ki Yay

It's definitely a science, and something you have to be on your p's and q's with or it could end very badly. I started when I was really young, and I enjoy it, but sometimes it will drive you up a wall. You get to set what are acceptable criteria when you start, so it's a battle from the start. Pretty rewarding though when you use what you made to take an animal, technology has came a long ways in the last few decades, bullet manufacturing is pretty consistent, powder technology has improved temperature stability and consistency. I'm a scientist so I'm always tinkering with something, and reloading gave me my first experiments.
    We do have really good powders nowadays. Bullet s have become better and as you said, any rifle, for the most part can be made to shoot just about anything. Just a matter of taking the time to test loads! I consider the "building" process 3/4 of the fun!

Of course some cant or wont invest the money or time for it, and stay with factory rounds and that's completely understandable but my rifles will continue to "run" reloads!
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

how did this thread change topics to why it is best to reload...again not that the results would be much different than factory ammo.

I though this thread was about 3 caliber choices.
    Yippee Ki Yay

how did this thread change topics to why it is best to reload...again not that the results would be much different than factory ammo.

I though this thread was about 3 caliber choices.
    You own all those special calibers and don't think there would be that much difference? What if the gun doesn't shoot any factory loaded ammo particularly well? I have a Remington 700 in 25-06 that hates pretty much everything factory loaded. I've had the gun for probably 10 years, last year I figured out it likes Hornady Precision hunters, and some SST loads that I use to load. I shot all kinds of bullets through that gun, so reloading was the only way. I have an X-bolt in 25-06 that is the exact opposite, it'll group about anything.
    To answer the question about why the thread changed topics, it's because it's the internet, we have plenty to talk about it. I'd rather open doors for people than not mention things because they are off topic, who knows maybe one day the OP will want to get into the reloading game, maybe he will remember he has some resources here on this site.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mattbowen61990; 09-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.

I think he knows he has choices... because he listed 3 rifle calibers
    Yippee Ki Yay

Jester, You were giving the particulars on Federal "factory" loads of the 130 and 150 and said,
    I am comparing Federal Factory Loads...just in case someone doesn't handload.

Looks like you "opened the door" on the topic of reloading! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast