Camera Land, IncSwamp Boogers
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    Jester, You were giving the particulars on Federal "factory" loads of the 130 and 150 and said,
    I am comparing Federal Factory Loads...just in case someone doesn't handload.

Looks like you "opened the door" on the topic of reloading! LOL
    your being petty...here is the entire sentence..."I am comparing Federal Factory Loads...just in case someone doesn't handload...not that the results would be that different."

the part you want to overlook.. is the part that steers it away from reloading since it wouldn't make the TERRIFIC difference as you seem to believe...meaning the differences of the 2 bullets I pointed out to you...after you wanted to know "Why on earth"
    Yippee Ki Yay

1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Sure,,,,you can kill a hog with a .22,,,,but I would NEVER go hog hunting with one!

95% of the time I use a 45/70 on hogs, 6.5 on deer.

Once again,,,shot placement is VERY important. Your gun must be accurate!
    I take it you have a scope on your 45-70? How far are the shots? Never hunted with one but my dad has one that he's been wanting to hunt with. I've discouraged him though because I had an experienced hog hunter tell me that 45-70 and other large, slow moving rounds are less likely to pass through, resulting in the pig running off. Again, never hunted with one so I dont know if thats accurate. I use my 7mm08 on deer and AR-10 308 on hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by tsfallbrook View Post
    I take it you have a scope on your 45-70? How far are the shots? Never hunted with one but my dad has one that he's been wanting to hunt with. I've discouraged him though because I had an experienced hog hunter tell me that 45-70 and other large, slow moving rounds are less likely to pass through, resulting in the pig running off. Again, never hunted with one so I dont know if thats accurate. I use my 7mm08 on deer and AR-10 308 on hogs.
    Only once have I ever had a 300 gr. 444 stay in a deer. Hit on right shoulder(broke). Found in left ham(broke) under hide. 37 measured inches of penetration. Didn't need a pass through. Big heavy slow moving, hard bullets will almost always give you a pass through on a deer or hog critter.Your hog hunter is wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12