Camera Land, IncAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Why are shotguns so expensive?

Default Why are shotguns so expensive?

Just something Ive always wondered. I mean, when you look at the complexity of a bolt action rifle compared to an over/under break open shotgun, it just seems like there is no real comparison. Shotguns are pretty basic machines compared to rifles. So why are they so expensive?
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

I believe there are several reasons. One, while O/U shotguns may appear to have less moving parts than a bolt action rifle, that's not necessarily the case. They're just as "complex" in their construction. O/U shotguns have ejectors, extractors, breach locking mechanisms, trigger selectors....so there are just as many moving parts, if not more, than a bolt action rifle. Plus, fit is equally as important, if not more so, on O/U shotguns as it is on bolt action rifles. How the barrels are made on shotguns effect the price just as much as barrels on rifles. On some of your higher-end O/U shotguns, you have intricate engravings (some are hand engraved). Some even have precious metal (silver/gold) inlays. The quality of the woods used in the making of the stocks is usually a bigger deal with O/U shotguns than it is with bolt action rifles. Another factor is simply demand. there's a greater demand for high-end O/U shotguns than there are for high-end rifles. You see less "show piece" rifles than you do "show piece" O/U shotguns. There are far more high-end O/U manufacturers than there are high-end rifle manufacturers, and a lot of them come from other countries.
    In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen. -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

I believe it has a direct correlation to the quality and craftsmanship.......especially with doubles and side x sides. For years the Browning Certori models were considered the most affordable highly crafted break open line on the market. Today there are many other companies such as CZ, Huglu, and a host of other Turkish made guns that are available in price ranges from moderate to outlandishly expensive. Also, Box lock or Side lock makes another difference in price points. From what I've heard and read about older models, both Fox and Parker made some guns for the blue collar buyer and others were made for the rich dudes. I have an old Lefevre .12 gauge double that my grandfather bought in the 1920's just before Ithaca bought Lefevre out. He paid the very high price (back then) of $39.00 for that gun, and unfortunately there were so many of 'em that it doesn't have a value today of much over $200-250.00 on the collector market. On the other hand a Silver Fox can bring a thousand or more for a gun that originally sold for less than $40.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

To me a shotgun is a more personal possession than a rifle BUT I am really a wing shooter at heart. When I look at the sale papers that hit the mail box the are just a few quality shotgun as compared to 8 to 10 quality rifle for sale. I own six rifles and 20 or more shotguns. I never shoot most of them. I am an A-5 guys and still have five, 4 Belgium and one Jap made magnum. I know they are ugly but they shoot every time given a little oil on the magazine tube. Already passed down several on the hereditary path to keep them shooting.

Seems to me the American side by side were made for function and economy no matter the brand. The over unders were marketed to the higher end crowd but that is not the case world wide. Price a few of the English made side by side and it will hurt your feeling. Those are works of art as much as any of the top end o/u by the top of the line manufactures. Most were custom made on order. Just saw a set of Purdy shotguns for $100,000.

The evolution of the shot gun seem to have went from the side by side to the pumps and autoloaders. There was a resurgence in the demand for pumps with the popularity of turkey hunting. Now the demand seems to be the gas autoloader like the Benelli. I hear folks and manufactures mention how fast they will shoot but how fast can you aim is more important and considerably longer than the gun will cycle.

Been looking a shotgun pricing lately and it seems to get nice you are looking at 1500 to 3500 new regardless of type. For you hunters out there you can still get a dependable gun for less than 500 bucks. If it shoots without jamming and throws a good pattern what else do you need. Shoot you can even get an A-5 for 1500 of less depending on the condition. When buying used just beware of salt Browning’s and Winchester shotguns made prior to the mid 70’s.
    Last edited by Iceman; 09-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

You think shotguns are high?

Look at this crossbow.....DAM! 2,500.00

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...b0774954de541d
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    You think shotguns are high?

Look at this crossbow.....DAM! 2,500.00

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...b0774954de541d

Red is shooting match competition with Air Rifles. Going to get her one of her own for practice at the house...they run around $700...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Oh Yeah,,,,air rifles have come a LONG way. Ive got a buddy with a .45 cal.

To get back on subject,,,I just shoot a Remington 870.....
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Oh Yeah,,,,air rifles have come a LONG way. Ive got a buddy with a .45 cal.

To get back on subject,,,I just shoot a Remington 870.....
    yes and those are bullet proof and time tested too.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford