Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: After 15 years of searching, I found one

Default After 15 years of searching, I found one

I now am the proud owner of my dream gun.

A Remington model 788 chambered in 44 Magnum. Was able to finally catch one on Gunbroker, and it even came with a spare factory clip, and the original iron sights.

Also came with a late 70's or early 80's Browning 5X scope. The scope is crystal clear and has the "T" post reticle. It was made for Browning by Redfield back in the day.

Cant wait to load some rounds and head to the range. This is going to be a fun whitetail rifle. Especially with a 22 inch barrel!!
    "I'm willing to die to keep my guns. The question is, are you willing to die trying to take them?" - John Wayne

With that kind of luck,you need to buy a lottery ticket.I am sure you know how scarce 788s in 44 mags are.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyb View Post
    With that kind of luck,you need to buy a lottery ticket.I am sure you know how scarce 788s in 44 mags are.
    Absolutely.

The 30-30 was almost just as rare. I actually have ran across 2 of those in the last few years, and wish I would have bit the bullet and bought one of them. I also have two 788's chambered in 22-250
    "I'm willing to die to keep my guns. The question is, are you willing to die trying to take them?" - John Wayne

those are kinda neat! Is that the one that has the multiple rear locking bolts? Post up some pics!
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    those are kinda neat! Is that the one that has the multiple rear locking bolts? Post up some pics!
    That's the one. All model 788's have 9 rear locking lugs in 3 rows of 3 at the rear of the bolt. They also have a very very ridged receiver because of how thick the material is and how little is removed at the ejection port. It makes for a very accurate gun, but the only down side is that it can be a little hard to single load due to the small opening. Of course, having a super fast lock time also didn't hurt accuracy one bit either.

I've never shot one that wasn't a tack driver. Many believe that Remington finally quit producing them due to them hurting sales of the model 700. It was hard to sell a less accurate gun for more money. What was supposed to be a model made to compete in the economy rifle market, soon became possibly the best performer.

Will try to post up some pics a little later.

the 78 came out after that wasn't it...more like the 700 action...for some reason I thought it was strong like the 788 action too... maybe not. I know my old hunting buddy (hunts in heaven now) used to look for them to build rifles on.
    Yippee Ki Yay

A buddy of nine had one in 7-08 and it was surely a tack driver. I'd love to have one in 44 magnum too.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    the 78 came out after that wasn't it...more like the 700 action...for some reason I thought it was strong like the 788 action too... maybe not. I know my old hunting buddy (hunts in heaven now) used to look for them to build rifles on.
    The 78 Sportsman was a no frills blind magazine 700. Great hunting rifle with how plain Jane it was coming out of an long era of glossy deer rifles with white line spacers and mahogany forend caps. Calibers were limited to 30-06, 270 and possibly 25-06 but I'm not certain it wasn't just the first two. They were not manufactured very long, 1984-1988.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/832956119
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

My Dad has a 788 in 308 Win. Only two rifles he ever carried were that 788 or a Ruger 10/44. He had better looking rifles, but that 788 outshot them all...

Congrats on the 44.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Congrats on that 44 mag. That is indeed the Holy Grail of 788's ..
    788's were exceptionally accurate rifles across their caliber range. My brother had a package rifle in .308 ( came with scope, rings and base ) that listed for under 200. That rifle consistently printed .5 moa with low-end Winchester 165 gr. and would
    routinely outshoot my Rem. 700 BDL. Quick lock time as previously mentioned was a definite plus. The only drawback to the design was that the rear locking lugs would often contribute to case stretch with " warmer" handloads.