Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: how would you hunt this...

Default how would you hunt this...

Sat in a deer stand this morning on a powerline. The edges of the power line are just wide enough to drive a vehicle down. The stand is on a dirt road that sits on top of a ridge looking into a valley on either side. Both vallies bottom out about 125 yds and then both go back up to another road. So realistically I have about a 250 yd shot either side. Heres the problem, everything but the edge and rd leading to stand would be my only shot. All the other areas of the power line is brush, briars, small pines, tall gr******************** etc.... Just tall enough to catch movement of a deer with a very quick and selective shot. This morning I saw a hoss yote on the edge for about 3 seconds. There is also a lot of fresh scat on the road walking to the stand. At about 9:30 I decided to take a walk to a very thick creek bottom a couple hundred yds from the stand I was hunting. There in the bottom is what i thought a very large den in the side of the bank of the creek. How would you guys hunt the power line to kill a yote?

I actually would hunt the bottom and use a shotgun personally. Down wind of the thickest spot you can find.
    SCCH
    Addicted Coyote Hunter!!!!

Once I see them they would be right on top of me. I could hang a climber on a pine and get above them with a shot gun.

Electronic caller somewhere in the brush just out in front of me?

You will be doing good to sneak in close enough to set up. But to try to hang a climber and get up a tree without a coyote hearing you. it will be tough, but I'm sure maybe anyone could get lucky.
    scch
    Addicted Coyote Hunter!!!!

A west wind on a drizzly morning may work.

I am no expert by any imagination. But I have to hunt a lot of roads also - so I would set a decoy - mojo critter, or even an old stuffed animal of your children - in the middle of the road at least 40 yards in front of you. use seductive calls and don't blast them out - wounded birds, mice, even a feral cat sound. Keep the volume under control, they will circle and look for the source, when they see the decoy they are more likely to come out into the road. But it may be quick. They are notorious to stick their head into the road, look for something and dart back in the brush. The decoy usually gives me enough time to get on them. I would use electronic and have the gun up and ready. Sometimes they appear in a few seconds, usually its several minutes.

But the best way is to let me put some steel in the ground along that road!

SH - we'll set the steel up in thicker cover. I want a poke at that giant deer killer I saw yesterday morning. Good advice tho. Thanks.

i would set up on the road with a decoy . if that didnt work then move in to the thick stuff with the shotgun . i would try any coyote sounds like a kiyi see what happens .